Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Inaugural Post

Well, I'm intending to get this blog started in the new year, but since I spent a reasonable portion of the day sewing, which is intended to be the focus of this blog, I figured I'd give it a whirl.

My name is Kristin.  I'm a stay-at-home-domestic-goddess to my husband of twelve years and our two little boys (ages three months, and three years and three months; their birthdays are three days apart).  I blog about my life at http://sakon76.livejournal.com/.  I'm a reader, a writer, a gardener, a cook, and a seamstress.  I sew clothing, costumes, and quilts in varying amounts.  I have, literally, a wall of fabric.  I am calling it "the challenge."  And my two darling boys, "the obstacles."  Because despite not having a job outside the house, as anyone who's ever babysat an infant and toddler can attest, keeping my boys clean, fed, and happy takes up a lot of time!

So my goal for 2017 is to see how much of a dent I can make in that wall.  (Picture forthcoming.)  I have the quilting cottons separated from the rest, and the "rest" mostly separated by type.  Not much in the way of knits, but plenty of linen and cotton and silks and wools.  There are a few synthetics, but most of my stash is natural fabrics.

Today's sewing, which I think I'm going to title "The Daily Thread" as a play on "give us this day our daily bread": two yards of white flannel cut up into forty-five 8" squares and hemmed on my serger/overlock machine.  My little sister is expecting a baby in three weeks, and I've found dry wipes very useful with my boys.  I had also made up some for myself when my older son ("Squiddle") was born; about a baker's dozen sustained hem damage over the last thee years, so I rehemmed those today too.  A couple summers ago I took a class on sergers through my local community college.  I learned a fair bit in the class, but honestly, just sitting and sewing on the thing all day long, fiddling and adjusting as I went, made me feel more in tune with its nuances than that class managed.  It's never going to be my primary machine, but I can see where it will get more used in the future.

So I'm down two yards of flannel, a small to-do stack, and six spools of thread.  A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment