Saturday, November 30, 2019

Post Thanksgiving Post

Ugh.  We did Thanksgiving on Friday this year, as my sister (ER nurse) had to work on the day itself.  Fortunately her shift was light on anything resembling carving knife accidents!  But I feel that, having cooked a complete Thanksgiving dinner all by myself, I finally get an Adulting Award.

(A 16-lb turkey, giblet gravy, garlic mashed potatoes, stuffing, succotash, jazzed-up cornbread, homemade cranberry sauce, glazed carrots, apple pie, pumpkin pie, homemade whipped cream.  And jello because I knew the three kidlets would not eat pie.  And ALL the leftovers are in my fridge because she wouldn't take any.  Also I steamed 18 eggs because my boys love them as snacks.)

Today, I am determined, I shall sew.  My project started as this:


Nineteen white and cream fabrics, and fifty-two purple/blue/gray/black ones.  No reason for the numbers, that just happens to be what I pulled from the easily accessible tubs in the garage.  Oh, and that stack pictured is what was LEFT after cutting.  Argh!  But I took a 4.5" strip from each, which got cut into these:


And then sewn together:


I've got the small triangles sewn to the large to make squares.  (I ended up overcutting on the small triangles.  Must think of something to do with them... later.)  Next I start assembling the blocks.  I'm working from a pattern in the March 1994 issue of Traditional Quilter, but I'm adding more blocks so it'll be slightly bigger.  I love some of the older quilting magazines.  They have patterns and attitudes that just aren't the same as what comes out in the modern magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment