Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Apple season!

Woke up a quarter hour early this morning to the sound of pounding rain paired with thunder and lightning.  It all went away by the time, an hour and a half later, that I was walking Jazzy to his bus pick-up.  This afternoon we had intermittent high winds; the lawn (and the roof of the barn, which Wonderful Husband had just cleared) is covered in small pine branches.

I did suffer a brief bout of inspiration this afternoon and dragged out my heating mats and seed starters.  They're set up on the kitchen counter for the next couple weeks, with placemats underneath, planted with leeks, spinach, and Swiss chard.  I also figured out how to fold a parchment paper envelope for the Black Krim tomato seeds I'd saved, so those got tucked away.  And I crushed all the eggshells I've been saving, so they're taking up a lot less room and are ready to be fed to the hens once they start laying.

And since we had high winds, there were even MORE windfall apples on the ground!  I gave the bird-and-or-rabbit-nibbled ones to the chickens, then started in on the rest.  I made Dorset apple cake (thank you for the recipe, Mary!), of which Wonderful Husband had two slices, and a batch of unsweetened applesauce, currently cooling in the fridge.  The boys love turning the apple slicer/peeler/corer.  Good thing, too - I have at least twice again as many apples still sitting on the kitchen counter.

And there is, amusingly, ONE quince on the quince/pear tree this year.  There were bucketloads last year, so I'm guessing it, like one of the apple trees, is alternating.  We're planning to get all three trees professionally pruned when they're dormant in January; we'll see if that helps even things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment