Wednesday, July 6, 2022

On The Sewing Table This Morning

Yesterday evening it rained, breaking the humidity that had grown oppressive.  And we're only in the mid-70s for highs here!  I have trouble imagining how it must feel in parts of the world where it's hot and humid.

But since nothing was lacking but the will, as the saying goes, I finally sat down and started quilting the next picnic quilt:


I got this quilt top (and another probably by the same maker, which will also become a picnic quilt) sometime in the 2014-2019 time range in a thrift store in Anaheim, CA.  The sashing is from the 1960s (there are spots where you can read the selvage info, which includes a 1961-62 date), but the blocks are hand-sewn and, I feel, probably from the 1950s.  The sashing is... not terribly well measured, so the blocks puff up a bit.  The sashing also wobbles back and forth, which finally dissuaded me from quilting cables into it.  Instead, I did straight-line stitching down each side of the sashing and saved the free-motion stuff for the twenty quilt blocks.  It's mostly point-to-point arcs inside the triangles and the white square at the top of the basket, but I did decide to go with pebbling for the side rectangles, to try to eat up some of that excess fabric.  One and a half baskets done out of the twenty, but I'm not going to stitch more until after the boys wake up.

And all the time I was quilting last night, I thought to myself that I was never able to do quilting in the summer in Anaheim, because it was just too hot....

No comments:

Post a Comment