Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Anatomy of an Outfit: Picnic Set

So!  Today in vintage Barbie clothes, we have... half an outfit.  The Picnic Set from 1961!

The bundle of clothes I purchased did not include the jeans.  (Nor, for any of the outfits, the accessories.)  But I had another pair of Barbie jeans to hand, so this is my approximation.  All that I got was the blouse:

Which, for the record, isn't actually a blouse!  I'm not sure exactly what one should call this, in fact.  A leotard?  A bodysuit?  Overall, it really is an excellent way of making sure a doll's blouse stays tucked in, so I'm going to have to see if any of my patterns has something similar that I can adapt for non-knit fabrics.


It has some gathering into the two-piece yoke on the back.  The folded-over collar is a separate finished piece.


And a snap hidden under that single button on the front.  As you can see, only one side of it is actually bodysuit-ish.  The front facings are simply folded over and their interior edges finished by topstitching.


The interior of the yoke.  The facing is free-floating, and folds down like so:


And, finally, the hem is simply folded over and topstitched down, as are the armholes.  The side seam is unfinished.

No comments:

Post a Comment