Sunday, September 4, 2022

Identity of a Doll

When I saw a listing on shopgoodwill for a "Porcelain Barbie," I thought they must mean a Silkstone Barbie, and, on a whim, put in the minimum bid.  The doll was pretty enough, after all, and I was curious.  And then I forgot about the auction until I got an e-mail telling me, surprise!  I'd won.


Well, now I have a doll that sure as heck feels like she's made out of porcelain.  Which is what Silkstone Barbies are supposed to be like, the internet informed me.  Except, when I was trying to ID her, by the color of her hair and eyes, by her earrings, by the style of her hair... I kept running into the road block of she's a smiling doll, while the Silkstones, with their heads allegedly modeled on the original, vintage Barbie's... well, to me they all look like they've just smelled something bad.


After running into roadblocks in several Google image searches, I finally took to eBay and did a search for "porcelain Barbie."  And there, a hundred and some auctions down, I found her.  Vintage 1996 Holiday Caroler Barbie!  She's been stripped of her dress and hat, and came to me in nothing but a lace-edged pair of drawers, but she's lovely, and, apparently, actually made of porcelain.  Since she's a caroler, I've decided to name her Noelle.


She's also about 3/4" taller than Solo!  Some of it in her swan-like neck, some of it in her leg length, since their torsos seem about the same.  Though she's just a touch broader in the chest; Solo's suburban Shopper dress doesn't zip quite closed on her.

No comments:

Post a Comment