Monday, June 3, 2024

Costume College Prep

So!  I have booked my room for Costume College.  I have sewn the 1920s slip, and a cream/pale blue striped linen dress to go over it.  The latter actually needs a bit of tweaking - it looks like a potato sack right now (a common charge levied at 1920s fashion, to be fair...) and needs the sides taken in by about 4".  But I am also constructing a 1920s corset (waiting on the hook and eye tape to arrive for that) so I want that to be finished before I make any changes to the garments I'll be wearing over it.

I have also found a dress at the thrift store for $3.50 which I have taken apart and partially reassembled into another 1920s dress.  It's of a very lightweight 100% cotton, so it should be comfortable in the summer.  I've pleated in the top (three on either side of center in the front, and two on either side of center in the back, following the fashion lines of a mid-20s frock I found online) and added a center stripe, on which I plan to put small pearl buttons for decoration.  I need to finish the internal seams, then I can re-face the neckline and put the sleeves back on the blouse part.

I think I forgot to mention that I have also invested in footwear to go with these dresses.  Since I haven't really sewn for myself for, oh, several years, and am now a very different size post two babies than I was a long time ago, my old costumes won't fit anymore.  So when I decided to do CoCo this year, I felt like I needed to commit to the bit and actually sew garb for myself.  And (theoretically) Regency and the 1920s are the easiest eras to sew for.  I didn't want to do Regency since, while that era is never out of style in the costuming community, right now Bridgerton is a thing, so there're going to be lots of Bridgerton dresses at Costume College.  So 1920s it is!  But I literally live my life in Reeboks, which are... not remotely historically accurate.  So I went to the website for American Duchess, the gold standard for re-enactment and vintage footwear.  And oh my gosh, they actually make some wide size shoes now!  So I perused what was available in wide and ordered the Paris boots, knowing I have some brown/brown striped linen that will work well for a dress to go with them.

I love these boots.  They fit like a glove and are so comfortable!

But even though they'll work perfectly for outfit #3, which is going to be the Isabella dress in that striped linen, they're not as great a match for the other two outfits.  I've taken a risk and gone up half a size, as AD recommends, and ordered the Parker shoes as well.  They're en route, and we'll see how well they fit.

So.  Corset cut, awaiting hook and eye tape.  Dress #1 awaiting corset and minor refashioning.  Dress #2 under construction.  Dress #3 in planning stages.  One chemise done; I want two more.  Shoes either here or on the way.  I still need to worry about hats (I have a 23.5" head - the usual is a couple inches smaller, so finding hats that fit me is... ahahaha); I've been collecting patterns to make them.  And I need to look at Sock Dreams' website and buy some stockings.  I would like to make a coordinating purse or two, but if I run out of time, I'll simply take one of the komebukuro (Japanese rice bags) that I've made to act in that stead.


Six weeks to go!  Knock on wood, I think I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment