Friday, July 6, 2018

I Sewed!!!

I haven't had much ability to sew recently.  Today that changed!

We knew today was going to be very hot.  113 degrees Fahrenheit hot.  (45 Celcius for those who measure via a more scientifically rigorous scale than the USA.)  And last night was not a good night - Jazzy kept me up for two and a half hours in the middle of it.  I woke up this morning with a headache that felt like an ice pick being stabbed into my skull.  Hydration did nothing to alleviate it. Painkillers did nothing to alleviate it.  Added to which one of the boys' summer classes started today.  Around ten I made the executive decision that I could not handle the class.  I dumped some ice cubes in the fish tank (none of them died while we were gone today, which I was honestly worried about), chivvied the cat inside, dumped some more ice cubes in his water bowl, turned the fans on higher, and decamped with the boys to my parents' place.  Where it still topped a hundred, but in a less murderous way.

(Yes, mother nature is reminding me of one of the reasons why staying in SoCal is not going to work for us.)

I have a couple sewing projects that I hope to work on while we're staying at my parents' next week.  I grabbed one on the way out the door - the bed-sized bright tumblers.  The block are sewn into rows; I just need to sew the rows together and then press the seams.

After lunch, my father siesta'd.  My mother's Singer 201 is in their bedroom.  But her Singer 127 treadle is in the guest room....

I've never had much luck with her treadle.  Today, though, I was bloody-minded and determined.  And I mastered it!  While my mother minded the boys, I sewed.  Of the 29 seams needed to sew the 30 rows together, I got 11 done.  And I really want a treadle of my own again.  At some point.  After the move, and in a couple years.  Because my reason for NOT having a treadle right now was also validated: Jazzy has inquisitive fingers that tried to poke at the workings of the mechanism as I was treadling.  Naughty baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment