Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Two More Basted

 I spent parts of yesterday getting another two quilts basted and ready to go.  First up was the dinosaur quilt!



I dug around in the bins and found two one-yard remnant pieces of backing fabric (90" wide? 108" wide? dunno) that were the same print but clearly off different bolts if you looked at them right next to each other.  Together, they weren't going to be quite wide enough, so I pulled out all the bajillion 3.5" strips left over from the bright tumblers quilt I did a few years ago, and pieced a couple into a center strip:


So the paisley beige of the back kind of goes with the sandy dinosaur footprints sashing on the front?  I'm planning to bind it in straight black.

Next I set to work on the 16-patch I'm going to give to my sister:



I ran into a problem when I ran into the end of the batting on the roll.  Not that it wasn't enough - you can see the kind of pointy bit on the left which was the tail end of the batting.  It was just the right amount!  No, the problem was that the batting was 90" wide... and the quilt was 92" square!  So I had to pause halfway through, cut a leftover bit of batting from one of the previous quilts into strips, and whipstitch it on.

I also pieced the backing for this one, nicely symmetrically, I think:


I purchased the blues from all the stuff I'm storing for my quilt guild, for specifically this purpose, and the stripe down the center was from my stash.  I did my best to center the quilt top on this.

Now to label and then to quilt.  But first, cranberry sauce and pies to make!


No comments:

Post a Comment