Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Movin' Right Along...

 (Footloose and and fancy free~)

Well, Quilt #4 (that being the dinosaur quilt) is completed, washed, and in the dryer.  I did simple straight-line quilting in the sashing, and Xs in the blocks.  For the outer border, I grabbed a chalk pencil and wrote the names of dinosaurs in cursive, then quilted my writing.  I think that may become one of my go-tos - it's fun and distinctive.  I did much the same thing for the pirate quilt for my dad, scripting Jimmy Buffett lyrics in the border: "Yes, I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder, just an over 40 victim of fate." I wish I'd been able to spell out "40" but there just wasn't the space.

Striking while the metaphorical-as-opposed-to-physical iron was hot, I've started in this evening on quilting Quilt #5, which is the 16-patch.  I made a good dent into it this evening - I got to the last row of the alternate blocks before my top thread ran out, and when I loaded up the next spool I also treated myself to a fresh needle.  So that's ready to go in the morning.  I'm doing a simple Orange Peel quilting pattern in the alternate blocks, and I'm planning a slightly more complex Orange Peel variant in the 16-patches.  And probably feathers in the outer border, taking all three as one....

I'm looking down the gun at t-minus 23 days until gift giving, and two of the quilt tops aren't complete yet.  I can do this, but I need to remind myself to stay on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment