A couple months ago, I picked up a project at the Angel Guild thrift store. For $6.75+tax, I got a 80'x60' linen tablecloth and six matching napkins.
The tablecloth, with the exception of the gold trim at the edges, is already fully embroidered.
Three of the napkins were half finished, needing only the wheat seeds to be done. The other three were completely undone. The bag included the floss, so I'm working to get all six to the same level of done.
I've also been halfheartedly investigating how old this kit might be. A few clues:
A couple of the napkins have this tag still on them. Bremer's was apparently a department store in Bremerton, WA, from "just after WWI" to 1985.
Paragon Needlecraft was in business from 1937 until 1982, so that narrows things a tiny bit, but not really by much.
The Metallic Yarn included (of which there is not enough to finish the project, so I'm going to need to see if eBay can come through for me) adds a little bit more help: Lurex was created in 1946. So I have a possible range of 1946-1982, which is a span of 36 years. Given the tablecloth is made of linen (and a nice linen at that!) rather than polyester, I tend to think it must be from the earlier half of that span. But currently I have no closer guess than that.





No comments:
Post a Comment