Wednesday, June 26, 2019

No Sew, Go Slow

I haven't stitched anything since my last post.  We're in the process of buying a house, and that's absorbing most of my mental focus.  It needs a bit of love, fortunately more on the outside than on the inside, and is on an acre of land.  An acre!  That's more than five times as big as the lot our last house was on!  (And the house itself is twice as big.)  So I'm doing a lot of garden dreams and plotting, and researching ways to foil the local wildlife, since when we were there for the inspection three rabbits were hopping around the yard.

Things other than rabbits I need to adjust my plotting to: a different climate.  We're now in zone 8b, where before we lived in 10a or 10b.  Cooler, wetter, actually freezes in winter.  If I want citrus (and I do!), I'll need to have them in pots and haul them into the garage or shop each fall.  That said, the property has a couple blackberry bushes on site, and three mature (if overgrown) fruit trees, two of which I'm pretty sure are apple.  The third one I'm not sure on.  Peach?  Quince?  Its fruits are fuzzy right now, so who knows.  I do want more fruit trees, though, and blueberry bushes, and I think I can plant them away from the septic field.

I also to take out a good deal of the severely overgrown landscaping around the house and spruce it up with new.  Half-dead hedges and rhododendrons that are probably twenty years old?  Those gotta go.  It's a blue house, so I'm thinking yellow and white roses and lavender plants would be pretty?  And a picket fence in place of the hedge?  I also want to add beds around the house in the back and make them mixed flowers, herbs, and veggies.  Maybe a border of garlic chives all the way around might help deter the bunnies?

Next year, hopefully, we could put in a fenced veggie garden and maybe a chicken coop?

For right now, though, I'm dreaming and reading and researching and sufficing with potted plants in the apartment's two deep windows and out on the tiny patio. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment