Thursday, June 27, 2019

Canning, Cooking, Indoor Gardening

Well, I may not be posting much, or sewing, but I haven't been entirely useless (says the mother of two small boys).  Over the past month I've nudged back into canning, putting up a few jars each of strawberry-rhubarb jam and blueberry-rhubarb jam.  As well as baking a rhubarb crumble.  The very first things I've ever made with rhubarb.  And I'm 42!  But those culinary experiments (as well as the fact that rabbits apparently don't eat it, possibly related to its poisonous leaves) have made me determined to grow rhubarb at the new house.

Other culinary experiments have included Blackberry Black-Bottomed Pie (which I shall definitely repeat once blackberries are in season) and, today, Zucchini Bacon Cheddar Scones (also a repeat-worthy recipe).

I have also slowly been expanding my three little garden spots (kitchen window, dining area window, patio) with mismatched thrifted pots, a few deep plates under them for when they get watered, and a couple of wooden probably-supposed-to-be-fruit-bowls to give the pots in the back some height.  Actually, I've been enjoying looking for nice but beat-up-looking wooden objects (bowls, fruit stands) when at thrift stores.  I made up about a cup of spoon butter and it does an amazing job at revitalizing abused wood.  With the mismatched pots and stands, my little indoor gardens are slowly looking more and more boho chic.  Pictures tomorrow, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment