Saturday, October 5, 2019

Pear... or Quince?

Next to the two 30' apple trees, there stands a small (6-8'?) pear tree.  Or, at least, I thought it was a pear tree....

I've had one sitting on the counter, ripening, for about a week.  Today I tried a bite out of it.  Firm as a rock still, and not wholly inedible, but... I'm wondering if it's maybe a quince?  The fruit are bright yellow, very bulbous, but still have a small neck as pears do.  They're also covered in a light layer of grayish fuzz while on the tree.  Unfortunately, googling for ways to tell pears from quinces is useless, as they're more or less sister species.

I suppose I'll pull the others out of the box-and-basket of apples for the cider press event tomorrow, and see how they cook up.

2 comments:

  1. It's probably a quince, if it's fuzzy. Quinces make *amazing* ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hooray! Pears have never been as much my thing, and I was planning to plant a quince tree anyway, so this knocks one thing off my long list of "to do in the yard" things.

      And, yes, I remember that delicious ice cream you made!

      Delete