Friday, August 28, 2020

Some Stitching Has Been Done

 Squiddle had his eye exam last week, and the eyepatches have helped his amblyopia quite a lot - his vision in his weaker eye has improved to something like 20/40!  So not all the way there yet, but good progress has been made!

Also last week I went on a digging through bins expedition in the garage, and found a few projects.  First up was a couple bundles of pirate themed things I'd been collecting together.  Part of one was thirteen ship blocks I'd won in the Orange Grove Quilt Guild a couple years ago.  And there was a remnant and a yard of fabric that went well with them, so I checkerboarded them together:


The ships were sailing two different directions, so I put the east-bound ones on odd lines and the west-bound ones on even lines.  Then I did a 2" border from two fat quarters that were in the bundles:


A closeup of the border fabric so you can see why I needed to include it.  Ship's wheels!:


And for the finale, a 12" border of three different JoAnns remnants and a thrift store purchase, all of the same skull and crossbones material:


The quilt is about 87" square, if memory serves, and I have enough leftover of both the skull and crossbones fabric, and the nautical fabric, to make pillowcase borders, though not enough for them to be the full pillowcases.  The extra block can go on the back, as a label.  Squiddle thinks this quilt should be for him, but Wonderful Husband and I both think it should be for my dad.

The next project I found was leftovers, sort of, from a quilt I made for my mom when she found out she had cancer.  I'd made 100 blue/white 16-patch blocks, and used 49 of them in that quilt, so I still had 51 left!  I pulled other fabrics in the yellow-to-orange colorway, and laid this out:


In hindsight, I wish there had been more of a color difference between yellow #2 and yellow #3, because in this picture they seem to be the same.  But they look quite different from less than six feet away, and since they were already cut I didn't want to dig more for something better that I might not even have.  I've got the rows half sewn, and after this is all together (about 79" square IIRC), I'm planning a blue/orange/blue six inch border.  The yellows and oranges have enough left over for pillowcases, and the two extra blocks can go on the back.  Not sure yet who this one is for.

In other news, I picked enough blackberries the other day that I made a pie, which we're still working through, and I also turned a large zucchini into chocolate cupcakes, but the recipe made 34 of them!  So I gave a dozen to our neighbors who have three kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment