Friday, March 10, 2017

Recalculating

The pattern I was going to use for Jazzy and Niecelet... the instructions sheet has disappeared.  Grr.  After a good lookabout for it, I decided to spare myself some pain and riffled through my collection of baby girl clothing patterns and found one that had a dress with similar style lines that would work.  I'm less sure about the romper in it for Jazzy, but that goes under my whole issue with the paucity of patterns for little boys' clothing.

A tip/technique I don't think I learned anywhere but came up with myself: if you may want to later reuse a pattern in a different size, dry-iron the pattern paper on a low setting to remove folds and wrinkles, then dry-iron a sheet of white tissue paper on top, smooth side up.  The two layers will stick to each other.  Trace off the size you need.  I use a Pigma micron pen and don't even have to move the paper off the ironing board because the felt tip means I'm using almost no pressure.  Refold original pattern, put it back in the envelope.

(My grandfather always complained about my grandmother not being able to refold paper maps properly, back in Ye Olden Days before Google Maps.  I never understood his gender bias on this, as I was always easily able to refold them.  Then I found my friend suffered the same problem with being unable to refold pattern sheets along the original lines.  Maybe there's a certain mindset regarding spatial mathematics that makes this skillset easy or not?)

Tomorrow: more cutting and sewing.  There's no seam finishes in this pattern, so I think I'm going to use my pinking shears (inherited from that same grandma!) to cut everything....

No comments:

Post a Comment