Thursday, April 13, 2017

Thrill Seeking

The thrill of a finish, that is.  It feels like lately all I've been sewing quilt-wise is blocks.  Blocks for the block of the month, blocks for the ugly nine-patch exchange, blocks for Block Lotto....  And while I still need to sew those latter for this month, and at some point catch up on the Solstice quilt... I've been balancing that out with some reading.  Specifically, The End of the Stash and the Stash Less series.

I pulled a couple huge bags of "I love this, it's fun, but I'll never actually make anything from it" fabric-and-miscellanea from my wall'o'fabric and donated it to the garage sale attached to my guild's quilt show next weekend.  And from the big works-in-progress bin, I pulled out baby quilt blocks.

When Jazzy was born in September, my guildmates, unbeknownst to me, made up 9" I-Spy novelty blocks for me.  44 of them.  Plus one fat quarter and a label.  So I spent yesterday working out a design.  Do you know how difficult it is to find a nice layout for 44 blocks?  I pulled seven of my own fabrics, used part of that fat quarter, and made up two more blocks for a six-by-seven grid with one more block in each corner of a border.  This "baby quilt" is going to be roughly 80" x 90".  He can use it folded over until he graduates into a big-boy bed in about five years, and take it with him to his dorm when and if he goes to college. :)

I still need to figure out what fabric I'll use for the borders (and hopefully binding, as there wasn't enough of the sashing material after all), but I'm hoping to finish the top tonight and put together a backing tomorrow.  It feels really good to be working toward a finish, instead of just treading water making blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment