Saturday, June 17, 2017

Jamestown Landing with Bonnie Hunter!

I took my first quilting class since 1992, and it was with quilt world star Bonnie Hunter!  I joined a whole new guild to be able to take this class, and signed up for it seven months in advance.  I'm lucky that she was teaching at one of the local guilds, and that my parents were able to take care of the boys that day so I could attend.

Our classroom was the clubhouse of a townhome tract in Huntington Beach.  The parking was a bit tricky to find, but the room was well-lit and the A/C worked, huzzah!  (It's turned hot again.)


Here's my workstation, with my Singer 301A.  Bonnie, a well-known lover of vintage machines, liked mine.  (I got to be her first demo girl.)  There were also four Featherweights in the class and one non-Singer vintage machine that I wanted to get a better look at but kept forgetting to.


And Bonnie herself, here teaching us how to properly use specialty triangle cutting tools:



And almost all the completed class blocks laid out together.  I think one more was added after I took this picture.  Mine's the red and green one, which I actually sewed the wrong way for the effect I wanted.  I ripped the two long seams last night and redid them correctly as well as finishing my second nearly-complete block.


And my picture with Bonnie and my block, in front of her quilt.  It was kind of funny to me: the uniform of the day seemed to be trousers and colored knit tops (many with quilty sayings like Bonnie's "Netflix and Quilt"), and here I am in a long flowing skirt and bright colors top and bottom.  Ah well.  Life is too short to wear boring skirts!


ETA: Here's Bonnie's post about the workshop.  My machine and I are in a few of her photos in the slideshow.



No comments:

Post a Comment