Thursday, October 12, 2017

Tiny Piecer

I got through both guild meetings okay, though yesterday morning's included a five-minute intense coughing session where two different people asked me if I needed water.  I waved them off, unable to answer.  Hard to talk, let alone drink, when you're having trouble getting enough air to breathe.  Fortunately, that's the worst that this lingering whatever has been.

So at the Tuesday night guild I dropped a great big bag of stuff on the freebies table and came home with a much smaller assortment of someone else's scraps.  (If they're not picked up by the end of the evening, they either go in the trash or to Goodwill, depending on what they are.)  Last night I sorted through the bits and bobs and pulled out those pieces that will go to the blue string blocks, the ones that will go into my general stash, and the bits that I don't like which will become Nine-Patches for the last month of the Ugly Fabrics Nine-Patch Exchange.  I also sorted out the pieces that I thought might work for American Civil War period reproductions.  And I pulled out Treasury of Quilts and opened it to the Album block.  And I took a few of the smallest scraps and cut them up and sewed them together into this:

(my hand included for scale)

My previous limit for too-small-to-keep was anything less than one and a half inches square.  I now may have to revise that slightly - the square blocks in this are one and three-eighths inches before sewing!  I want to make another in two fabrics, not scrappy, to see what it comes out like.  But the three fabrics in this were literally the last scraps I could eke out of what I got.  The green rectangle in the upper left is made up of two pieces, as is the goose turd green square in the lower right corner!  I'm actually rather proud of that latter one - it's hard to tell even in person.

There's a fine line between thrifty and insanity.  I may be flirting with it....

No comments:

Post a Comment