Saturday, April 7, 2018

*headdesk*headdesk*headdesk*

I've just spent the evening figuring out why, exactly, a block pattern turned out slightly diamond-shaped rather than square.  It took some math and a few mental bad words (hey, I've got little kiddies) but eventually I figured out that there were nine pieces with an extra quarter-inch added on.  So I took the block apart (it being a block with 29 pieces, that was not exactly fun), recut the bits down to size, and resewed it.  And this time it worked.

Now, this is for Block of the Month.  Given that I've already reworked and remathed sixteen of the other pieces for this block, I'm just going to call it all my own work at this point.  The only four pieces that I didn't have to rejigger are 2 1/2" squares!  This is why I test the blocks before I make up the patterns.

So tomorrow I get to cut and sew another sample block so that I can take pictures of the steps and figure out how best to do the directions.  And I have to do this tomorrow because Monday is taking a friend to the fabric district, Tuesday is family stuff, and the guild meeting is Tuesday night!

But at least the hard part is now done.

No comments:

Post a Comment