Thursday, January 18, 2018

Blast from the Past, Part 1

Alas, I was not able to go to my writing class last night. A combination of bad headache, possibly blocked milk duct, and Wonderful Husband getting home late.  So I will try again next week.  And I ended up spending the evening quilting, and got the Jacob's Ladder quilt (64" x 51" apparently) all quilted and trimmed.  Today I hope to do the binding and dig out some muslin for a label.  I'm thinking it will be a birthday gift for Niecelet, who is turning one on Saturday.  But she lives up in Washington state, so it will be late by a couple days. :/

Yesterday I also pulled out three more projects and their backing fabrics, and am mentally debating which one to tackle next.  There's a large green/plaid four-patch quilt I got in a Goodwill lot - it'll be for my parents.  Or there's the String-X quilt that's maybe for Jazzy.  Or the Asian fabrics round robin I did with my guild....  I'll probably go for the four-patch, as I want to do straight-line quilting with the walking foot on it, and that goes quick.  Plus it will be a project that will immediately go to its final home!

While we were in England, I became reacquainted with a couple of my older quilts.  They were lap quilts I had made years ago for Wonderful Husband's grandmothers, who were in assisted living facilities.  Now my inlaws have them, and Squiddle slept under them while we were there.  Here's one:


I don't remember if this one was Nan's or Gran's, and I made it long before I knew anything about labeling quilts.  It's a very simple quilt alternating four-patch and white muslin blocks, making green chains. It's bound in a pink that matches flecks in the green fabric.  There are a couple wrinkles caught by the quilting on the back - I didn't know about spray basting back then or walking feet.  So, I could do slightly better now.  But the construction is actually pretty sound, and I am definitely not ashamed to own up to having made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment