Sunday, January 28, 2018

Saturday Sewing

I spent a fair chunk of yesterday at my sewing machine, first quilting then binding a relatively large (63" x 86") quilt top from my UFOs pile.  It's not one I made - I got the top in a box lot from Goodwill - but I guessed that getting some utility quilting on it and then a ride through the washer and dryer would make the top's ripples, puckers, and flaws a lot less visible.  And I was right!


One of the things that made this kinda ugly quilt top interesting to me was the spots where the quiltmaker had run out of the original plaid and substituted some of the same design but in an alternate colorway:


Since, unless they don't want it, this one is going to my parents, I pulled out a tropical pineapples and bromeliads print for the back, thinking they might want it for their sailboat down in Baja.  The seam joining the two lengths together of fabric for the backing is nearly invisible... but the pineapples are going up on one side and down on the other!  (SHHHH.  Tell no one.  Wonderful Husband didn't see it until I said something.)  I had the perfect shades of polyester thread in golden brown for the bobbin, and silk thread in seafoam and white for the top.  Yes, sometimes I quilt using silk thread.  I have a stash that I bought on deep discount when a JoAnns closed years ago.  I found a brown and gold stripe fabric in my stash and made it into the binding, which I stitched on the back first, then flipped around and top-stitched onto the front.


And that, friends, is how I can sometimes get a relatively large quilt quilted and bound in one day!

So that's two UFOs done and ready to give away in January.  I won't get to show them off at my guild, but at least I've got a third UFO under my needle at the moment... the Asian fabrics Round Robin that I did with my guild last year.  The center block is quilted and the first border is marked.

No comments:

Post a Comment