Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Wednesday Workings

Instead of being good and basting another UFO for quilting, I've been block-making.  I've finished the five extra yellow/black Churn Dash blocks to make my BoM winnings into a top.  I've also pulled out my quart baggie of 2.5" squares and started sewing them into 5x5 blocks for a scrappy Double Irish Chain.  Whee, what fun!  But the REAL winning sewing is this:

Squiddle (age 4 years, 4 months) has been asking me for sewing lessons for... four months now.  I'd promised to start teaching him when he was four.  He's recently stepped up the requests, so today I finally pulled out his great-grandmother's (absolutely pristine) Singer 128 hand-crank.  The one I hauled all the way back from England several years ago.  He picked out three fabrics from my stash, I pressed and cut them, and we proceeded to make a 10" square reversible drawstring bag (roughly like this one).  He sat on my lap and turned the crank while I fed the fabric under the foot and pulled the pins.  (He helped put a couple of the pins in.)

And when we were done, he gave the bag to Daddy!  And he wants to make another one for Jazzy (he has already picked out the fabrics for it) and then one for himself.

And in non-sewing things, meantime, Jazzy is continuing his streak of independent precociousness.  While we were in England, he figured out how to go up and down staircases by himself.  No one showed him.  Today, he figured out how to climb the ladder to the playhouse that's part of the swings/slides set in the backyard.  The first time, I was hovering behind him in case the rungs were too far apart.  Then he went down the 5' tall slide.  Not fifteen minutes later, I looked up, and he was up there in the playhouse again all by himself!  He now no longer gets unsupervised time in the yard for a while.  And, according to Wonderful Husband, tonight while I was at writing class and he was getting the boys into their pyjamas, Squiddle was being stubborn about not knowing where to put his clothing.  Jazzy marched up and pointed to the hamper.  And when Squiddle was being stubborn about not knowing how to put on his undies, Jazzy picked up two more pair of his undies and threw them at his brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment