Tuesday, December 8, 2020

A WIP, a Book, and an Argh!

 I've been working on the quilt top for my mother's present.  It started at 60"x84"... which is maybe a good size for a twin bed.  But my parents' home doesn't have any beds that size!  So I'm adding a white/floral stripe/white border to embiggen it to 80"x104", which... if their bed is the same height as ours, will be brushing the floor on the sides.  Hmm.  Maybe not?  I've got the white and floral stripe on, which takes it to 72"x96".  Wide enough for a queen (18" overhang) but not quite long enough.

Wonderful Husband suggests a slightly wider final border on two sides.  That might work.

In any case, I did my first mitered corners on this quilt!  I wanted the floral strip to look nice, and it does.

Also, and unrelatedly, I finally got the book I'd requested from the library!  Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston - about a romance between a theoretical First Son of America and a younger prince of the British royal family.  Its enemies-to-lovers storyline had me thinking it would feel rather fanfic-ish, but to my surprise, it wasn't!  Though at certain points it was very very much escapism from the hell that has been the last four years of the American political landscape.  The secondary characters are well fleshed out and I found myself thinking I'd happily read stories about any of them.  My only minor nitpick was that the prince was the Prince of Wales, which I believe is a title typically given to the heir to the throne?  So it should have been his brother's title if I understand correctly?  Otherwise, the British parts of it read well to my ear.  I ended up very much liking the book (418 pages) and wishing there was more.  I'll happily read her next novel!

And, finally, in assembling fabrics for rainbow rings on Squiddle's quilt, I've had to compromise on a red-orange.  But I knew I had the perfect orange in my stash.  So I went and dug and found it!  But I'm pretty sure it's not enough. ;_;

No comments:

Post a Comment