Monday, December 21, 2020

Squiddle's Rainbow Quilt

The menfolk, tall and small, have been tucked into their beds and lay dreaming.  I'm the only one awake, still working on the last Christmas quilt, Squiddle's.  This is my own choice - it's in a state now where I could give it, quilted, bound, and labeled.  But I want to get the last four rows of interior quilting done as a point of pride, and at the moment I'm redoing a section of the binding that I pulled too tightly on the inital pass.

The quilt is a little bit bigger than it needs to be (roughly queen sized, and Squiddle sleeps in a full bed) but it will likely shrink up a touch when I toss it through the washer and dryer.  And I love it so much that I'm actually considering submitting it to a quilting magazine.  Even my father-in-law gave an impressed "bloody hell" (according to my mother-in-law) when I sent them this in-progress picture:


I've been using black thread for most of the quilting - circling every dot in that center panel, a line of quilting on each side of the black stripes, and zig-zag quilting in the outer border.  For the rainbow stripes I'm color-matching my thread and doing a different motif for each color.  So far I have infinity eyes in the purple and waves in the blue.  The binding is rainbow stripes.  The back is a red flannel - Squiddle's (current) favorite color.  And even though it looks like it in the picture, the color stripes aren't all from the same fabric line!  Only the red and yellow match.  The orange and blue are batiks, and the green and purple are Keepsake Cottons from JoAnn Fabrics.

I don't have matching pillowcases for it yet.  And I like to do those when I give a bed-size quilt.  But I'd need to get more black fabric from JoAnns first, so I think after I give it to Squiddle I'll ask if he wants me to make them or not.

But for now I think I'll get my sewing machine threaded with green, start the dishwasher, and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment