Saturday, November 18, 2017

Needed This Like A Hole... In One

I've embarked on a new quilt.  It's not like I don't already have a stack of tops waiting to be quilted, and a list of sewing that I need to do in the few weeks before we flee the country (and I lose access to my sewing machine and stash) for our winter holiday with family and friends.

But nooooo.  Over the past couple years I've been setting aside fabrics that matched my father-in-law's interests.  I've garnered them from the Bargain Basement, guild yardsales, and thrift shop grab bag hauls.  Golf fabrics, train fabrics, baseball fabrics.  And I was going to cut into them to make him a couple themed pillowcases for Christmas.  But then I realized that the pieces that were long enough had chunks cut out.  So no go on that plan.  BUT! I could cut them into squares, and sash them, and border that....

So I cut 64 6.5" squares.  And pulled some brown fabric I got in the freebies heap at guild this month, and made that into 2.5" sashing strips and first border.  And found a good red for corner squares.  And a green from a grab bag that kind of reminds me of a golf course got cut into 5.5" outer border strips....

I'm halfway through sewing the last border on.  So now I have to muse on what from the stash will make good backing.  (I have more of the brown for binding.)  It will be about the same size as the Strawberries and Cream quilt, and I'll do the same simple straight-line quilting that I did on that one.  So the quilting will only take a day or so.

But first, I basted a baby quilt this morning, so quilting that is next.

No comments:

Post a Comment