Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Butterick 3419, pt. 2

So, this morning I finished up the little green silk gown, sewing on a snap at the waist and burying the thread tails from that and the bit of velcro I stitched on last night.

It fits brilliantly... just not for the doll I'd hoped it would.


Looks quite good, and quite true to the pattern illustration, doesn't it?  But it was clearly designed for the Twist 'n Turn Barbie body, not the Bellybutton body.  It will not close on the Bellybutton body, and there is no ease room on the Twist 'n Turn body.  Which means this entire pattern, and indeed, probably all my "day clothes" Barbie patterns, are for that body shape.  The trousers fit the Bellybutton body... because they have an elastic waistband.  sigh

Well, there are a couple of non-fitted dresses in my patterns that will probably work for the Bellybutton body type.  And I guess I have an excuse to buy the current 11.5" doll patterns whenever Joann's Fabrics next puts McCalls patterns on sale.

Pattern notes for this dress: I did not use the interfacing in the skirt that the pattern wanted.  I didn't have any, and at this scale, the dress really doesn't need it.  I finished the neckline with 1/2" bias tape, as suggested, and after folding it over, I machine-sewed it down.  It looked horrible.  So I ripped those stitches out and redid them by hand.  The hem was also hand-sewn, as were the sleeve cuffs.  I pinked most interior seams after sewing them, and used Fray Check on the sleeve, waist, and center back bodice raw edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment