Saturday, August 6, 2022

Sewing for Dolls

Might have gotten a couple more Barbies at the thrift store the other day.  One is another Curvy with red hair that I've named Aloy (as in, the main character from Horizon Zero Dawn), and Wonderful Husband agrees with me that I really need to make her that costume.  I also got a blonde ModelMuse doll that I named Morticia (despite the platinum blonde hair) because her lipstick and nails are very red and her expression leaves me no doubt that she has murdered someone.  And a Petite with medium-brown skin and an Afro-ponytail hybrid, who I've named Nichelle in honor of the late Nichelle Nichols.

I also finally remembered that I have a bunch of Barbie clothes patterns, and pulled them out of their box in the garage:


The stack on the left is pre-1999 (when the new body type was introduced, so these will only fit my narrow-waisted dolls from the '80s), the middle stack is costumes of one variety or another, and the right stack is everyday clothes.


And these are the fabrics I picked from the free/discard table at quilt guild.  The two greens on the right are silk - the darker one four yards of charmeuse.  I get first dibs on that!  But the lighter green is a remnant, and a good portion of the rest is probably also intended for Barbie clothes of one kind or another.  Though, for a couple of the lighter prints, I found myself rifling through the set of historical patterns and lamenting that somehow they didn't include a Regency dress pattern!  Well, when it comes to it, either I'll buy one online, or figure it out for myself.

For now, I'm going to make a 1960s day dress out of that green silk remnant and figure out a bit more about how to make clothes at Barbie's scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment