Friday, August 12, 2022

Simplicity 8466

So!  In rifling through my stack of Barbie patterns, for my next endeavor, I decided to pull out Simplicity 8466, which has a copyright date of 1969.  Like, this pattern is seven years older than me!


The pattern was mostly intact.  It looks like previous owners only ever made image 1 - that yellow flowered dress at bottom center.  I, however, was interested in image 7 - the blue flowered bellbottoms and open-backed top at the bottom right of the picture.  So, with only a slight wince, I cut into the pattern tissue and pinned the four pieces needed to some of my stash of vintage fabric.

The instructions for this pattern were much less concerned with seam finishes than more modern patterns.  In fact, in general, the instructions were "fold over 1/4", clipping as necessary, and top-stitch down."  I used Fray Check on a lot more edges this time.  (And my pinking shears on most of the trouser edges.)

How did it turn out?




The same outfit on Twist'n'Turn, Bellybutton, and Curvy body types.  Amazingly, it fits all three!  That said...


Here's the trousers on the Twist'n'Turn body.  Note all that extra space at the waist?  These trousers were clearly not designed for this body type!  And, upon thought, I think I know why.  The same as how my pattern from 2002, three years after the Twist'n'Turn body was discontinued, doesn't fit the "new" Bellybutton body, so does this pattern, from three years after the Vintage body type was retired, not fit the Twist'n'Turn.  The patterns were made for the old dolls, the ones most people still had.

(That said, I do not actually have one of the Vintage body type dolls to test for fit.  I'm going to have to keep keeping my eyes open at the thrift stores to see if I can get lucky.)

And, for gratuity's sake, a picture of the back of the outfit, which is what drew me to this pattern:


Applying the baby rickrack was easier than I'd thought, though I did have to hand-turn the wheel for fine control rather than use the treadle pedal.

No comments:

Post a Comment