Sunday, August 7, 2022

Butterick 3419

Pattern sewing project #1 done!  I took that scrap of green silk and managed to fuss with pattern layout just enough that I was able to get both a dress and a pair of trousers from it.  And possibly a gathered skirt as well, but I've yet to figure that out.

So!  I decided, for my first foray in a long time in sewing from doll clothing patterns, to go with this one:


Butterick 3419 is dated to 2002, so it's twenty years old.  But obviously styled older than that, with fashions of the 1960s.  But, most pertinently, it should have been designed with the "bellybutton" Barbie that came out in 1999 in mind.

My first project was the trousers, since they only had two pieces.  See upper middle-left illustration.

Here's how they turned out, on both the Classic bellybutton Barbie (left), and the Petite bellybutton Barbie (right), which came out in 2016:


The trousers are a good length on Petite, but about 3/4" too short on Classic!  So I've written myself a note to that effect on the pattern piece.  And for one more comparison:

The trousers are also a good length on 1990s Skipper, but perhaps a bit too full.

Next, the "bridesmaid" dress from this pattern (front right image)!

No comments:

Post a Comment