Saturday, August 27, 2022

Success!

I finished the second iteration of the 1967 dress, and it works a LOT better than the first.


There's a lot more fullness in the Barbie version, of course, but to a certain extent that can't be helped, given the relative stiffness of fabric on a 1/6th scale.  I suppose if I was working with a rayon fabric, that might have been drapier, but I'm making doll clothes with the material I already have, not going out to buy more.  (I have too much already.)  And the fabric goes wonderfully with Ms. Blue's jewelry!  So I suppose I should earmark the rest of that fat quarter for other clothes for her.

I am slightly annoyed to discover one of the pairs of boots is cracked.  But given they're ~35 year old plastic, I suppose such things are to be expected.

Rather than wrestling with the bias tape to finish the neckline, I did the Fray Check fold and stitch down method, then sewed a hook and eye at the center back.  The slightly longer slit in the back aided greatly in the ease of getting this on and off, even over Ms. Blue's voluminous hair.  Simplicity 8466 for the win!

No comments:

Post a Comment