Thursday, November 15, 2018

Guild Week!

This week I had evening guild meeting on Tuesday night, and morning guild meeting on Wednesday morning.  Well, I was actually planning to skip the second one, since the boys had class that morning... but then Jazzy's illness, which I had thought was on its way out, mutated into a chesty cough and extremely snotty nose.  So rather than infect a classful of toddlers, I hied down to Fountain Valley where my parents watched the boys for a couple hours while I did guild.

To both meetings, I took what I'm calling Snuggly Ugly 2.  This is one of the two vintage tops I picked up at the evening guild's garage sale last month.  (For nothing!)  Here it is being basted:


And here it is as quilts are meant to be, being enjoyed:


The backing is flannel, making it nice and, well, snuggly!  I had to fix about a dozen popped seams before doing anything with it, but it turned out quite nice, I think.  Based on the fabrics, I estimate the top was from the 1960s.

The speakers at both guild meetings this month were very good.  Katsy Chappell was hilarious, and Leah Zieber's collection of antique quilts was stunning.  I definitely came away inspired!  During the daytime meeting, I stitched away on my long-term embroidery project:


It's a tablecloth, and I've done all the red and green and only have the yellow to finish.  But there is a lot of yellow, and I only work on it when I have free hands but nothing else I can be doing, so... at daytime guild meetings, in class, and while waiting in doctors' offices.  It may be another couple years before it's done.

Also, at the daytime guild, it was announced that everything at the fabric sale table was free this month, so I wandered over and found this:


Unlike the Snuggly Ugly 2, this one is all cotton, and hand-sewn.  My mother and I estimate it's from the 1950s based on the prints.  The center bottom square has two different fabrics.  Some of the rectangles are pieced, eking out every last bit of material.  There are at least two different muslins used.  I need to give it a several-day soak on Oxyclean to see if the (mostly age) stains will come out.  But I absolutely cannot believe that this was free!  (And now it's mine. ^_^)

No comments:

Post a Comment