Saturday, May 27, 2017

Vintage baby quilt salvage

I finished sewing the binding down on the X-Plus quilt last night and tossed it through the washer and dryer.  This afternoon I pulled out the next project in the queue:


I bought this baby quilt for $8 at an estate sale back in early April.  (Pictures from then. Jazzy was napping on the bed and I draped it atop him to take the photo.)


Most of the appliques had areas where they had lifted away.  I spent this afternoon repairing them.  I also hand-darned a couple of small tears - one on the ground fabric, two on a hat.  The quilting is broken all over the place but I'm not sure I have the skills or patience to fix all the breaks.


Two of the three fisherboys had lost most of their fishing lines.  I re-embroidered those.  I need to put a new binding on the quilt, but I don't have any appropriate fabric.  I do, however, have a couple gift cards to Orange Quilt Bee, so I figure I'll take this there on Wednesday and ask for help.

Then, after I repair the binding, I'm planning to soak it for a couple days in some Retro Clean and see how many of the stains come out.  And put on a label detailing what I've done to the quilt.  Then... I dunno?  It's not sturdy enough that I'd want to use it as intended, but it's also not really right for a wall hanging.  Maybe I'll ask my guildmates for suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment