Saturday, May 23, 2020

Chickens and Beds

Well, the chickens have survived one night in our tender care.  Little boys want to pick them up, hold them, then put them down and hold another one, which I suspect is stressful for the chicks, so I've been limiting it.  Jazzy doesn't like me limiting it.  Fortunately the brooder box is high-sided enough that I am the only one of the three of us who can actually reach the chicks.  Squiddle named one (the Brahma) "Joe."  Given that they're all theoretically girls, I suggested it could be "Jo" and listed off some long names that Jo is short for.  He picked Joanne.

Wonderful Husband helped me build and place the third raised garden bed, and I got it mostly-level, then started sifting the soil from sod using the garden riddle I built.  Now that it's fully functional, oh how I love that thing!  I'm not sure it makes the process faster, but it certainly makes it easier, and the dirt ends up sifted and fluffy and rock-free.  And while we were building the bed, I finally saw a hummingbird approach the feeder!  I'd been hearing them but not actually seen any, so I'm pleased.  It was rust-colored, so maybe it was a Rufous Hummingbird?

I finished my reread of Uprooted, by Naomi Novik.  I have a pile of new books to read on my side of the bed, but I just don't have the mental/emotional energy to deal with new universes right now.  I know this is the stepping block too high because the only new books I've been able to read in a while were Knife Children, by Lois McMaster Bujold, and Golden Age and Other Stories, by Naomi Novik... both of which are set in universes I'm long familiar with.  Torn, by Rowenna Miller, on the other hand, I'm just stuck on.  I try to read further into it, and I just... can't.  Sorry, Morag!  When the world calms down some, I hope, because what I've read of it I have in fact really liked....

And no pictures of anything today, I'm afraid, because I stupidly let my phone battery run down earlier.  Tomorrow, I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Don't feel guilty about it, I have books on my to-read shelf which I haven't looked at more than a year after they were given to me ;) Some books need a specific frame of mind or setting.

    ReplyDelete