Friday, May 22, 2020

Chookies!

Today I finally bit the bullet and got chickens.  I blackmailed Squiddle into going with me to Wilco, where the stock they had on hand almost entirely did not match what their website said.  In the end, we picked out one each of five different breeds: a Buff Brahma, a Silver Dorking, a Golden Campine, a Brown Leghorn, and a "Color Pack," which I was told lays the blue-green-pinkish eggs.  I kind of was hoping for a Cuckoo Maran as well (dark brown eggs!) but there were none, alas.  A couple of them still have their egg tooth, so they're less than a week old.

We've set up their brooder out in "the barn" and will be building a chicken tractor over the next month.  Jazzy is utterly charmed by the chicks, and would spend all day with them if he was allowed, I've no doubt.

I also finished digging the sod up from the third garden bed, so hopefully tomorrow I'll get to help put together the raised bed and put it in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment