Tuesday, January 28, 2020

A Quick(?) Quilt

I needed another project like I needed a hole in my head.

Nonetheless, while digging through a box of strips the other day, I found twelve 8.5" Disappearing Four-Patch blocks done in muslin and two different greens.  They're definitely blocks I made, but I can't remember what for.  Block Lotto (RIP)?  Guild Block of the Month?  And why didn't I turn them in, if so?  So, call them probably four or five years old at this point.

As I was tidying things up to put away, my eye kept resting on them.  And the stack of green fabrics I'd pulled out to audition for Evergreen blocks.  And the stack of fabrics from the thrift store.  Finally I caved and did a quick layout to see what I thought:


Sometimes your creativity is limited by what you have on hand.  I knew I didn't have any more greens available without extensive digging.  And while my first thought was a one inch border of the lighter green, I didn't have enough of that either.

Next came cutting alternate squares and setting triangles:


My go-to tutorial for figuring out setting triangles, BTW, is Bonnie Hunter's On Point Quilts.  Always round up just a smidge if you end up with numbers with an eighth measurement in them.  Better safe than sorry!

Since there wasn't quite enough of the lighter green for a border stripe, I cut it narrower (1" instead of 1.5"), pressed it in half, and used it as a flange for just a pop of color:


The finished quilt top is 40" x 51".  A little large for a true baby quilt, but I like to give toddler sized quilts as baby gifts anyway.  Babies grow.  And this is a size that my six-year-old (who is like 90th percentile, size-wise) would still use.  So there will be much more use gotten out of something like this than something merely crib sized.

I was kind of tempted to name this one something like Emerald City, but I think I'll go with Cloverleaf.  Not quite what the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is intended for, but given that it used up a fair bit of green fabric, I'll count it for the month?

No comments:

Post a Comment