Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Beds and Pillowcases

Yesterday was Niecelet's third birthday, which was a good way to fill up the afternoon for two little boys who didn't have school on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.  Mummy, OTOH, got to fill up her morning and evening with four loads of laundry.  In part because Jazzy woke up half an hour before the alarm, very unhappy, because he had soaked himself and his bed.  So beds got remade as well, and I thought I'd show them to y'all.


This is Squiddle's bed.  It used to be mine, from when I was maybe 12 up until I got married.  When we were upgrading him to a big boy bed after moving here, he had the choice between converting his crib to a double bed, or using this bed.  He chose this one.  Currently it's actually got two quilts on it, both blue.  The upper Galaxy quilt is Jazzy's, but I wanted one with a flannel backing for warmth when I was changing Squiddle's bed last weekend after the vomiting incident, and this came to hand.


This is Jazzy's castle bed, which after two moves is showing a bit of structural damage, but it's sound enough to last until he gets upgraded to a big boy bed in a couple years.  The Dinosaur Crossings quilt on it is, I think, actually Squiddle's.  We live in a sea of shared quilts.


This is one of the pillows on Squiddle's bed, and is actually his Christmas pillowcase from this year, which I sewed up while in England.  I use the Roll It Up pattern and just insert a 1.5" width-of-fabric strip, pressed in half the long way, between the layers for a flange.  The alphabet fabric, chosen because Squiddle is learning to read and write this year, was actually printed slightly askew, so I had to twist and nudge it a bit to get it to line up. I think it turned out pretty nice.


Jazzy got a Christmas pillowcase too, but as his bed is still using toddler pillows, neither of these are it.  Though I did make them; two of the sets of these pillows are matched, where this particular set is only matched in that they're both "star" pillows.

No comments:

Post a Comment