Thursday, January 30, 2020

Guild!

Yesterday, around 2:30 in the afternoon, I was sitting at my desk and heard a CRACK.  I looked out the window in time to see half of a tree fall on the other side of the road:


You can see the remaining half of the tree on the right, with the break point in the upper right corner of the picture.  This happened directly opposite our driveway.  I'm guessing the tree had been dead a while; there were no green branches on the part that toppled.  There was no wind and no rain at the time, so I've no idea what made the tree decide it was just too much and time to give up now.  I went out a bit later with the push broom and cleared it all off the road.

And!  I finally got to go to a quilt guild meeting again!  So I'm now a member of the Quilters by the Bay as well as the West Sound Quilters, the Orange County Quilters Guild, and the Orange Grove Quilters Guild. ^_^

The meeting last night was a "Four Corners" meeting, which turns out to be four mini workshops, one in each corner of the meeting room.  So I got a refresher on spinning four-patch seams, as well as a quick tutorial on how to machine piece Y-seams; an introduction to designing pictoral quilt blocks; a refresher on Danish fabric stars; and a lesson on how to make an origami bag.  If I teach at Costume College next year, that last one may just be a class I can offer.  (I still need to work out if I can go this year.)

The guild members liked my rag quilts (I got a couple questions on them) and they definitely liked the minis I made from the scraps I took from the November meeting.  Next month will be making more string-pieced blocks for charity quilts, and in April there's going to be a field trip to Warm And Natural that I'd rather like to go on....

No comments:

Post a Comment