Monday, January 13, 2020

Pink Pinwheels

Up at 4am again.  Thank you, Jazzy.  But he took a long nap after burning his fingertips on the stove yesterday, and kept dozing off yesterday evening so I guess it's not a surprise that he's awake again now.

Ever since I was pregnant with Squiddle and thus spending a reasonably high amount of free time in doctors' offices, I've had a take-along hand embroidery project.  Actually a couple!  They're for whenever I'm in a waiting room (on the theory that as soon as I pull out something to do, someone will appear to interrupt that by taking me back into the office) or when I'm sitting and listening in a quilt guild meeting, needing something mindless to do with my hands.

My latest stamped embroidery project has been this:


It's from a Jack Dempsey Needle Art kit, and I probably picked it up at a thrift story or garage/estate sale or a quilt guild fundraiser, because while the kit was supposed to have six blocks, by the time it came to me it only had four.  They finish at 18" square, and have blue dotted lines where you're supposed to quilt, which will theoretically soak out afterwards.

And I just finished the last one yesterday!  I ran out of the pink with half of one "petal" left to go, so I had to buy a whole 'nother skein just for that.  Still, less annoying than the time I had to buy another skein with literally less than two inches of straight stitch left (more on that project tomorrow).  And after I got the extra pink embroidery floss, it took me less than ten minutes to finish the project.

I know I want to do a 2x2 setting for these blocks, on point, which will give me a ~50" square.  Add a border or two onto that and it'll be a decent-sized throw quilt.  I just have to find the right fabrics to go with the embroidery.  Ugh!  I'm trying not to buy fabric because I'm drowning in it, but I have the feeling that for this, I may have to.

And now I get to pick out a new take-along project from my stash of 'em!  Pillowcase, or table runner...?

No comments:

Post a Comment