Sunday, January 19, 2020

Christmas 2.0 and a Rag Quilt

Wow.  It's almost 8am and yet no one under the height of 5' (or, for that matter, over the height of 6') is awake yet!  I have the house to myself!

Yesterday we went over to my sister's house for Christmas 2.0 (and her belated birthday).  I definitely need to practice more on making the family Swedish meatballs recipe.  They weren't inedible, but neither were they perfect.  A good time was had by all, and I think everybody was largely satisfied with their presents.  I got a Hang It Dang It for hanging wall quilts!

And!  I also managed some crafting yesterday.  I now have this stack of flannel squares quilted and ready to sew into a car quilt for Jazzy:


At one point while in California I took all my leftover bits of batting from quilt trimmings, etcetera, and cut them into 7" squares.  And even after making these two 5x7 layout quilts for the boys, I've still got a ton of them and a ton of flannel, so I'm thinking something bed-sized with the rest.

To make these rag quilts, I sandwich those batting squares between two 8" flannel squares, sew an X across them, and then sew them together with 1/2" seams, all the raw edges facing toward the front.  The raw edges then get clipped every 1/4"-3/8" up to the seam, and they fray and fuzz and curl up nicely in the washing and drying process.  For Squiddle's quilt I sewed all the way around the edge and ragged that too, but Jazzy doesn't seem to like the rag texture against his neck, so I'll likely sew a traditional binding around the edge of this quilt instead.

Anyway, on to sewing while the house is quiet!

And as soon as I type that, Squiddle is up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment