Thursday, March 5, 2020

Chasing a Squirrel Down a Rabbit Hole

After finishing the Double Irish Chain quilt yesterday and tossing it into the wash, I went back upstairs to look at the teal fabrics and see if I could cogitate a plan of attack.  These caught my eye:


Two completed 4.5" nine-patches, and some extra bits.  Why not finish them, I thought to myself.  Maybe they'll be the center of something.  So I trimmed and sewed bits together and pulled my 2" strips bin in from the garage to get more black, and I ended up with fifteen blocks, some scrappier than others.

Four and a half inch nine-patches, I thought to myself.  Why, I have a bunch of those from the Ugly Fabrics block exchange I ran for the Orange County Quilters Guild.  I even know where they are.  I wonder if I could combine the two sets?  I should count them!


140 nine-patches of various fabrics.  155 when I combine the sets.  Well, 144 makes a nice 12x12 set, and if I put them on point, that'd be about sixty-eight inches square.  If I add ten inches of border on either side, that's a bed-sized quilt.  What, thought I, if I used those extra eleven squares in the border?  Make one more, and I could do three per corner, and use them all up.  I grabbed my pen and the nearest blank surface (the back of the David Austin Roses catalog) and started sketching out an idea:


I'm not sure what color I want for the alternate squares, or if I want it all the same fabric or concentric rings, shades of the same color.  As Pooh bear says, "Think think.  Think think think."

No comments:

Post a Comment