Monday, March 9, 2020

Thorns

Yesterday morning I had these 2.5" squares and half-square triangles (some not yet pressed!) laid out on my sewing desk:


As well as a couple more pieces under the needle, from where I'd stopped the night before:


By bedtime, I'd transformed them into these 10.5" blocks:


The block is called Single Wedding Ring, or Crown of Thorns.  Or possibly a dozen other names, but those are the two I know.  It's been a while since I've made this block (as a block of the month, IIRC), so I've now figured out the trick to having the seams nest: press all seams to the dark fabric.  I'll remember that for the next set.

I was initially thinking I'd take all these sea colored fabrics and work on an Ocean Waves quilt, but I'm still just a touch intimidated by that pattern.  So many half-square triangles!  (As opposed to this pattern, which has "only" thirty-two HSTs out of forty-one pieces. :/)  Baby steps!  Work up to that goal!

The second blue from the right is kind of meh, but I like all the other fabrics quite a bit.  The "white" is unbleached muslin.  I don't know what I want to do with these blocks yet.  A baby quilt?  Something for one of the boys?  A gift for an adult?  I figure I'll just keep making blocks until I decide.  I do have that whole basket of sea colors to try to use up!  For the next set I cut, though, I think I'll try to add in some more greenish colors, because currently that third-from-the-left green batik is standing out a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment