Saturday, March 7, 2020

Hustle, Bustle!

I did a great deal of running about yesterday with two little boys in tow.  Thrift stores, garden center, lunch, pick up prescriptions, grocery shopping.  Ugh.  by the end of it I was quite run down, and didn't really get my mojo back until late evening when I tried another sorting of the basket of sea colors.

This time I worked by strip width.  All the 2.5" strips and strip bits got pulled out, and anything narrower than that went in the separate basket for string piecing.  I also found a bunch of neutral scraps in the garage and pressed them as well.  This morning I started cutting them up, and got three sets for 10" Crown of Thorns/Single Wedding Ring blocks done before we went out and about.

Out and abouting involved a Pokemon Go EX raid that we failed at, since no one else showed up for it, then lunch at Dickey's Barbeque, then finally going to the Peninsula Fruit Club's Spring Grafting Show.  It was much more my speed than the boys' (or even Wonderful Husband's), but I watched some demonstrations of grafting, and purchased a grafting knife and eight scions for $2 each.  I got three pear, and five apple.  One apple one is "Huntsman's Favorite"... well, that's my maiden name.  I couldn't just pass it up!  I also got an apple called "Pendragon" which has red flesh. ^_^

Tonight, I'm probably going to watch a ton of Youtube tutorials on grafting, and then try my hand at it either tomorrow or Monday, when it's not raining off-and-on.  For now, though, I'm going to cut out some more blocks while Jazzy is napping with Wonderful Husband, and Squiddle is entertaining himself.

(Side note: I find it amusing that two of my neighbors are all "Oh, I'd love to garden, but I have a black thumb" and "I'd love to have a garden, but we just don't have a space for it."  Whereas I am all like "I'm gonna try and graft my own fruit trees, just try and stop me! and "How much of the front and back lawn can I gradually get away with planting before Wonderful Husband complains?"  They could both do it, they just don't want to as much as they think they want to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment