Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Guild, Gardening

Guild last night was relatively small... only 42 members showed up.  Coronavirus on everyone's minds, I guess, especially as we're just across the water from King County, one of the hotspots in the US.  Myself, I just keep thinking about how this phenomenon is unprecedented in my recall.  A global health scare where whole countries just shut down?  On one hand it's a bit scary, on the other hand, wow, the modern global interconnection and its results are amazing.  Schools aren't yet closed where we are, but if they need to be, I'm lucky we're in a position where I can take care of the kids, and that we're relatively well stocked.  (The only thing I'd worry about, grocery-wise, is milk.)

Backing up briefly to the quilt guild, I showed off the Double Irish Chain quilt as well as the Cloverleaf quilt, which I really need to mail off now.  There were only five blocks entered in Block of the month, but fortunately I didn't win them!  I did, however, make some nice headway on my embroidery project.

I had picked up a spade, some compost, and some mulch at Home Depot yesterday.  I alllllso took a gander at the roses they had on offer.  Mr. Lincoln and Chrysler Imperial (both Gamble Fragrance Award winners) both caught my eye, as did Scentimental (I'm a sucker for striped roses), but I was strong!  None of them came home with me.  (They didn't have any Double Delight; if they had, I might not have been able to remain strong.)  And about when I got home, the box from Raintree Nursery with my two cherries and one European plum trees arrived.  I've opened it this morning, and they're all soaking their roots in a bucket on the patio for a few hours until I can plant them.

No comments:

Post a Comment