Sunday, April 26, 2020

A Bed!

Today was a bit of running around.  To Wilco to get some herb plants (because I am not dealing with that queue outside Home Depot) and a bale of straw for mulch, and then to Home Depot again to do a curbside pickup of some lumber.  Did you know that 96" is the absolute maximum board length you can get inside a Honda Fit?  Because it is.  But it all ended up fitting perfectly.  And then I came home and Wonderful Husband built me this:


This is made from two 12" boards (one sawn in half to make the two sides) and one 8" board for the upper side of the slope.  We spent some time shifting around the soil underneath the frame so it's mostly level since the ground slopes both front to back and right to left.

I worked my way through the piles of dirt and grass chunks on the far and right sides of the bed, sifting soil and earthworms back into the bed and picking out as many rocks as I could.  I still have that pile in front to do, but I was aching and tired and wanted to leave off when I did.  I put the cardboard one of the piles had been on into the bed, to give the worms shelter from the local robins.

I'm going to need more soil to add to the top, even if what I've been gleaning off the grass clods is significantly fluffier than it was before I ran my fingers through it.  And I'm really missing my garden riddle that got left in California.  I need to build another one at some point.  But first, I need to get this bed done and planted!

No comments:

Post a Comment