Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Done and Done

As I sit and write, there are a few flakes of snow falling from the sky.  Pity it's going to warm up and we're due for a week of rain again.

Yesterday morning I took my car in for servicing, and while I was sitting there waiting I sewed the rest of the hanging sleeve onto the Owl and Pussycat quilt.  This morning, on the walk to the bus, I asked Squiddle where in his room he wanted it hung.  This is where he chose:


I wouldn't want something heavy hung over a bed, in case it fell, but a quilt is just fine.  And I'm very pleased with the Hang It Dang It I received for Christmas and used for this.  It made it very easy.  Of course, now I don't have it to hang any other wall quilts, but I also got an Amazon gift card for Christmas, so I might just use that to get a couple more for elsewhere in the house.

After I got back from the car dealership, I also sewed the binding onto the Disney Star quilt.  It went on nice and easy, and I realized I use a couple tricks that I'm not sure I picked up from anywhere.  I feel like I should do a Youtube video, or a photo tutorial.


And, yes, the stitching is visible on the front.  I don't care.  Durability is my keyword!  This is a quilt for a three-year-old.  I want strength of stitching, not aesthetic fineness.  And this took me thirty minutes of machine time to complete, not three evenings of hand-stitching.

Now I just need to cut and sew a pillowcase to go with this, wash 'em, and then it's ready to gift.  I might keep it an extra week, though, to show off at quilt guild first...

No comments:

Post a Comment