Tuesday, February 18, 2020

ISO: Next Project

After taking care of dishes and laundry and various other necessary household tasks, I went out to the garage in search of my next sewing project.  I hauled this bin in to the workroom:


Inside were a few different multi-gallon Ziploc bags.  The biggest is devoted to "ocean colors" for a quilt or three that I want to make eventually.  But I wasn't feeling that project today, so that went back in the box.

One of the other bags, however, held strings!  So back out to the garage I went.  I actually know where my stash of "suitable for string piecing" paper is.  I brought back in a Pinetree gardening catalog from three years ago, cut it up into 8.5" squares, and pulled all the green and orange strings I could find, to make Rainbow Scrap Challenge string blocks.  Three green:


And two orange:


That worked through, I sorted a bag of 1.5" strips into light and dark:


And dug through another bag of 2.5" x 7.5" bricks, pulling out all the reds:


I took four of the red bricks, cut them into three 2.5" squares, making twelve total, and started in on making log cabin blocks ala Eleanor Burns.  I got two rounds around them before bedtime, and am debating whether to stop at three rounds (for 8" blocks) or to go for four (for 10" blocks).

7 comments:

  1. Ah, String blocks! The quilter's answer to a palette cleanser. Love those ORANGE ones for this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Palette cleanser! Haha, yes, they really are, aren't they?

      Delete
  2. You have been busy, making strong blocks is nice easy sewing. I do mine on extra thin vylene so I dont have to rip paper when finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vylene...? Ahh. That would be what my quilt guild was sewing the blocks on a few months ago! I really liked it because it felt firmer under the fabric than the newsprint-grade paper I use. Thank you for the name. Now I know what to look for!

      Delete
  3. Scrap sorting is so much fun when you eventually make something in the scraps. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so much fun, and satisfying, knowing you're making order from chaos, and quilts from detritus.

      Delete
  4. You made quick work of those strings. I like any kind of string quilt. I get Pinetree Seed catalogs but haven't used them as string foundations yet although I do have a lot of old saved seed catalogs. Last paper foundations I used came from a Medicare booklet.

    ReplyDelete