Sunday, February 2, 2020

Quilted In A Day!

Much as I love the show Quilt in a Day, I've always felt the title to be slightly misleading.  More like, Quilt Top in a Day.  Though to be fair, Eleanor Burns was working on the premise of bag lining the quilt, turning it, and tying it.  (Which leads to one of those fine quibble points of this hobby: is it a quilt if it isn't quilted?)

Yesterday after I hauled my sewing table into quilting position (in front of Grandma's sewing desk, for greater flat area to support the weight of the quilt) and cleaning and oiling it, I started quilting the Disney Star quilt:


I used six different threads.  Two purples, for the different purple diamonds on the front, as well as one of them for the bobbin for the backing.  A pink for the two pink diamonds, and a variegated blue for the two blue diamonds.  White for the setting squares and triangles, and a very pale pink for the bobbin thread under the white, because I didn't want the dark purple I'd used for the rest of the back to shadow through to the front.


I free-motion quilted meandering flowers into the diamonds, though I switched that to snowflakes for the two blue Frozen fabrics.  (One of the Frozen fabrics had snowflakes in it, so I cheated and just thread-traced those.)  The setting squares and triangles, I just used my walking foot to echo-stitch squares and triangles two inches apart.  The quilt's a bit big for a three-year-old, but Niecelet is already sleeping in a big girl bed.


And a shot of the fabulous Disney Villains backing fabric.  The quilt is trimmed, but I still need to add binding and a label.

Still, not bad work for one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment