Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Tuesday's Thrifted Treasures

I ran up to Port Orchard yesterday morning, both to get the lattices to block off underneath the back patio, and (since I was child-free and thus moving fast) to do my weekly surveil of the thrift stores while I was there.  And I got through Goodwill and St. Vinnie's and Lowe's in time to meet Jazzy at the bus stop, so hooray!

My haul, minus the kiddie plate that matched the others the boys eat from, which had already gone in the dishwasher, and a one-cup canning jar:


The glass jar on the left actually has a rubber seal, so it'll be useful for pantry storage.  The yellow and white brocade tablecloth needs a mend in one spot, and new hems on two sides, but it's nice and should fit the table.  I've been wanting a French curve ruler for dressmaking for a while, so I'm pleased to have one.  And the pattern is one of the Mountain Mist quilt patterns that I collect when I find them.

I'm actually the most pleased about this little tray, though:


The engravement reminds me of Little House on the Prairie books.  If you've read much about Laura's life after the series ends, you'll know that the house Almanzo built for her burned down in a prairie fire, and the only thing that survived was a glass platter with the same motto: "Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread."

However, this wooden piece was sad, and in need of love.  So I pulled out my wood polish, which I make by melting coconut oil and beeswax together.  I rubbed it on by hand and then buffed it out with a kitchen towel, and the tray now looks much happier:


(Forgive the shadows of the parsley plant.)  I've placed this the vanity in the guest room, as a catch-all tray, on top of one of the embroidered runners I found a couple weeks ago.

Tonight, quilt guild!


No comments:

Post a Comment