Monday, February 24, 2020

Double Irish Chain and Weekly Thrift Store Treasures

After making my decision, I laid out and basted the Double Irish Chain quilt Saturday night:


The quilt is 70"x90", so it's not as small as it looks here.  I did trim away the extra batting before I spray-basted it, and put it in my pile for either bolster pillows or rag quilt squares.  It feels like the spray baste manufacturer switched nozzles at some point.  The older cans didn't used to aerosolize nearly this much!  It's a subtle sensation on the floor, but I'm pretty sure I now need to mop around the basting area.  The excess backing I trimmed away after basting.  Such a luxury to not have to piece a backing!  I've cut and joined four 2.5" lengthwise strips from the leftover backing fabric to be the binding.

I only went to one thrift store last week, and other than a couple deconstructable toys for the boys and a big tub of sidewalk chalk that has already been broken into, these were my finds:


The picture frame was $3.75 and it is a perfect size for the couple prints I've bought from Ikea.  (The Dalarna horse unicorn here being one of them.  Celebrating my Scandinavian heritage!)  It's already hung on the wall downstairs.  I also lucked into nine old quilting magazines, a vintage crochet potholder instruction manual, and a Ball canning publication for $.25 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment